Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Home schooling

It is the end of one year and yet when you home school there are no real breaks. Once you finish the current year it is time to evaluate and look for materials that you will need for the following year.
I thought once I had graduated a few kids, homeschooling would become easier. What I have found is that the older I get the more tired I am and the harder it is to stay focused and motivated. I hope (with the help of fellow home schooling moms) to blog a few postings on how to stay motivated and focused on a God size task and give readers a small glimpse into this journey.
For all of you homeschooler's out there- how about posting what keeps you motivated in the comments area of my blog. Lets share the ups and downs with one another.
In keeping this real, it is no secret to most of my homeschool buddies that HS'ing has never been easy for me. From the first day that I started this path I have had moments of doubt. I have had good years and years that I felt were nothing but an up hill battle. I have used almost every curriculum out there and finally settled on mostly a text book method-something I thought I would never do but surprisingly works well with my children and our life style.
My motivation tip of the day is- SUPPORT- without it I would sink. My husband is my biggest fan. He keeps me going on those days when I want to give up and throw in the towel. He helps me to create balance and see the real picture when I can't even see my hand in front of my face. He prays for me and then helps me to trust the Lord with all of our struggles and decisions.
What keeps you motivated????





2 comments:

  1. Homeschooling is a journey through a season in your life. Although I've never doubted my ability to homeschool, nor really lacked motivation, I also don't have 6 kids. So all I can say really, is that the motivation I have comes from asking what does the world have to offer for a schooling environment, does it measure up to God's standards, thus is it appropriate for my children? Once motivation is established, what will I lean on for support, and how can I best implement my ideas?

    As parents we are responsible for and will be held accountable to the Lord for the method we choose to educate our children and what those results might be. I am generally not a risk taker. I do not want to risk what I have worked so hard to create in my children...a love for the Lord, high standards of morality and Christian values. Sending my children to learn in a classroom environment where values and standards could possibly be compromised by outside influences is a risk I am not willing to take. That's not to say that it cannot be done, but I'd rather work to maintain what I have established in my home, than to work harder fighting the constant battles against Christian values they'd face every day in a classroom. To me that's the best way to be accountable to the Lord for the end result.

    Believe me, there have been times when shipping the kids off to school seemed very appealing. Sometimes it's hard to see the bigger picture when we are going through our moments of frustration and self-doubt. But if we can just remember first to commit to the Lord our plans, then we will succeed, especially when they line up with God's word and we bathe them in prayer. By doing that we will receive the strength, patience, and determination we need to get through each day. It will be hard, but the end result will gradually come into focus and will be so worth it!

    As moms it's also hard because we like to wear many hats and to switch them around often. Prioritizing is key. Personally, I had to get to know myself. When it comes to projects or activities, I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. I can only do one thing well at a time. Doing many things at once is not a problem, but I'm not giving my best to any of them, or, one thing will get my best and the rest will suffer. That creates feelings of resentment, disappointment, and stress. I have had to drop many activities/projects that I used to like to do or felt I could do well in order to fulfill the responsibilities I have to the commitments I made. I made a commitment to my husband as his wife and to my children as their mother and teacher. Only after those are taken care of can I pursue other interests or activities with caution, no matter how good the cause may look. My priority is my family and that's the hat I need to wear out.

    So although I am nowhere near your family situation, what works for me is remembering the risk I am not taking, leaning on the Lord for everything, and putting my family first. Combining those three thoughts and actions will allow me to stay encouraged and excited about the journey of homeschooling I am taking. One day that journey will be over and I want to be able to fondly remember that season of my life.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a newbie at homeschooling... my girls are ages 6 and 4 (my little guy isn't even in "school" yet!), so I'm totally new at this! I guess my biggest source of help is that my mother homeschooled my siblings and me, so I have a wonderful referrence point to look back to. She was a very patient and thorough "teacher", so I really lean on her for advice and ideas when I get "stuck".

    Like you said, my husband is also a huge supporter. I know that he believes in me, feels very strongly about homeschooling, and is there to be my moral support! (He's also better at math than I am, which will probably come in handy in a few years!).

    Kristy @ Homemakers Cottage

    ReplyDelete